Northern Maine Medical Center
Northern Maine Medical Center, accredited by The Joint Commission offers a full range of acute medical and mental health services.
1. Improves coding specificity by education physicians, clinicians, and other involved parties regarding the necessity of providing complete and clear documentation of the care provided through a patient’s stay. This includes medical necessity and capturing complications/co morbidities during the patient’s stay. This is achieved via queries, face-to-face communication, phone conversations and/or other educational programs and tools useful and necessary to achieve this goal.
2. Follows guidelines for coding and documentation to ensure physician and hospital compliance. Remains current with coding information to ensure accuracy of codes assigned based on documentation. Information will include the AHA Coding Clinic publication, pharmacology, laboratory, disease processes, and new/emerging technologies. Participates in educational programs and in-services in order to maintain and exceed excellence in coding and CDI skills.
3. Keeps CDI database updated and current. Produces reports as requested and produces a monthly summary report of cases reviewed.
4. Provides on-going education to NMMC providers, via monthly newsletters.
5. Keeps daily productivity log to include number of cases reviewed for CDI, number of charts coded and other duties done on a particular day.
6. Maintains established hospital and departmental policies and procedures, objectives performance improvement programs, and safety, environmental, and infection control standards. Maintains confidentiality and security levels to protect medical/legal patient care documentation.
7. Codes inpatient, observation beds, and same-day surgery records using our 3M Encoder & HMS Interface and abstracts all visits.
1. Codes outpatient accounts for billing using ICD-10-CM and CPT codes.
a. Reports are coded within prescribed time frames in accordance with departmental policy.
b. Follows coding guidelines as specified by Coding Clinic, HCFA, & AMA.
c. All coded accounts are entered into HMS computer system to enable bills to drop.
2. Ensures confidentiality of medical information. Discusses confidential information only as needed to carry out job functions.
3. Maintains educational training and professional development. Attends all mandatory educational programs as well as programs related to job position.
4. Performs such related duties not listed herein, but deemed in best interest of the HIS Department and hospital.
5. Participate fully in all NMMC Employee Safety Program initiatives.
6. Work as a member of the HIS team to help reinforce a culture of safety in the HIS department and organization wide.
Education, Training, and Experience:
Associates degree in Health Information Services and credentialed as an RHIT or Certified Coder with billing and coding background.
Instructions for Resume Submission:
Interested candidates should apply online at www.nmmc.org